Learn How to Prevent Diabetes
We at Kelsey recognize the importance of diagnosing prediabetes early, that is why your physician screens you for diabetes. If you have prediabetes, Kelsey has a program for you! The lifestyle program offered at Kelsey is a four-part series of workshops.
Beginning January 2020, a Prediabetes Workshop will be offered to capitated patients by Registered Dietitians. The following are clinics that will be participating:
- Fort Bend Diagnostic Center
- Spring Medical Diagnostic Center
- The Vintage
- The Woodlands
- Clear Lake
The workshop consists of four separate classes, one each quarter repeated every two weeks. The classes will be an hour and a half, and the participant can attend in any sequence. The goal of the workshop is for the participants to lose 7% of their body weight by improving and applying practical eating habits and incorporating physical activity. Weight and waist circumference will also be measured.
While there are four distinct classes comprising the workshop, each class will have an introduction to the first class for new participants. Below is a brief overview of the workshop:
- First class: This class will explain prediabetes and type 2 diabetes with the focus on prevention. It is an interactive class that will cover healthy food choices, portion control and the creation of a balanced plate. All participants will be encouraged to correspond with Registered Dietitian via MKO. This will include pictures of meals.
- Second class: This class will focus on physical activity.
- Third class: This class will focus on healthy cooking/how to eat healthy when eating out.
- Fourth class: This class will focus on psychosocial barriers to change.
To order the class, the physician will write an order for the Prediabetes Workshop. The referral will then prompt the Contact Center to reach out to the patient to schedule. If the Contact Center is unable to schedule the patient, the referral then will be sent the dietitians’ work queue to contact the patient.