Join Our eNewsletter!
Subscribe to our monthly newsletter to receive encouraging advice to help you lead a healthy lifestyle.
Check Your Pre Pregnancy Checklist
If you’re ready to start a family, you and your partner can take an active role in getting you in the best shape possible and help reduce the risk of a complicated pregnancy.
Kelsey-Seybold OB/GYN Holli Smith, MD, FACOG, has provided a prenatal checklist of five key areas to focus on. “Appropriate medical care combined with a healthy lifestyle and proper nutrition can help guide you toward a healthier pregnancy,” she adds.
- Medical. See your obstetrician to check for unhealthy medical conditions, such as hypertension or diabetes, needing to be brought under control before conception.
- Lifestyle. Quit unhealthy lifestyle habits such as smoking or overindulging in alcohol.
- Nutrition. Get your partner on board to support your food choices for maintaining a healthy diet.
- Vitamins. Some studies suggest that multivitamin supplements with folic acid can help reduce the risk of certain birth defects. Ask your doctor for guidance on what supplements are safe and beneficial to take.
- Exercise. Exercise regularly, but check with your doctor before starting any exercise regimen.
- Sleep. Getting adequate sleep is important to your overall health.
Share This Article