The Importance of Choosing a Primary Care Physician
At Kelsey-Seybold, your primary care physician (PCP) is on the frontline of your medical care and is usually the first person to diagnose a health problem – which is why it’s so important to have one in your corner, focusing on preventive medicine. Medical research shows that patients who receive regular care from their PCP are more likely to have preventive screenings, are healthier, and have fewer preventable diseases.
PCPs help stop health problems before they start.
Your Kelsey-Seybold PCP will launch a preemptive strike on illnesses and diseases to help prevent them from developing in the first place, and will also address lifestyle issues and modifications, such as:
- Quitting tobacco and all forms of nicotine
- Modifying alcohol use
- Following a healthy diet
- Managing weight
- Choosing a sensible exercise regimen
Your PCP will encourage you to have preventive screenings and coordinate your care with Kelsey-Seybold specialists, pharmacists, hospitalists, and imaging and laboratory technicians as needed.
Your annual primary care exam is key to prevention.
An annual exam gives your PCP an opportunity to review your overall health and recommend tests, bloodwork, or immunizations necessary at each stage of life. This exam is generally no cost to you with your KelseyCare health benefits plan (a copay may apply if your doctor addresses issues not considered to be preventive).
During the exam, your PCP will likely check such health indictors:
- Cholesterol levels
- Glucose level
- Signs of diabetes or prediabetes
- Signs of heart disease
- Signs of cancer or precancerous cells
These are the types of health threats that may not have noticeable symptoms in the initial stages. So, by identifying diseases sooner rather than later, the chances are greater for better patient outcomes.
Make a primary care appointment with MyKelseyOnline.
With the secure MyKelseyOnline patient portal, you’re always connected to your Kelsey-Seybold primary care physician. You can use MyKelseyOnline to:
- Send secure messages to your Kelsey-Seybold doctor’s office anytime, day or night.
- Directly schedule, cancel, or reschedule appointments with your Kelsey-Seybold primary care physician and an expanding list of specialists.
- View your appointment history and immunization records.
- Get most test results without waiting for a follow-up letter or call.
- Refill prescriptions and request free mail-to-home or mail-to-work delivery on most prescriptions.
- Update your personal details and insurance information.
- Make secure online payments.