Among the nonsurgical treatment options available for spinal conditions and back pain are over-the-counter and prescription medications. The spine specialists at Kelsey-Seybold Spine Center will provide you with the types of medication, as well as the correct dosage, that can help relieve the pain associated with your specific condition.
Medications that we may recommend, depending on your level of pain, include:
- Acetaminophen — Over-the-counter medication, such as Tylenol, that lessens the brain's perception of pain, but doesn’t treat inflammation
- NSAID pain relievers — Nonsteroidal, over-the-counter drugs that help reduce inflammation in the back (common forms are ibuprofen and naproxen)
- Oral steroids — A powerful, non-narcotic prescription anti-inflammatory medication used for short-term severe pain relief
- Muscle relaxants — Prescription drugs that have a sedative effect on the muscles, typically used early on to alleviate pain from muscle spasms
- Narcotic pain medications — Controlled prescription drugs that are used for severe pain on a short-term basis (codeine, hydrocodone, oxycodone, tramadol)
- Anti-seizure medications — Medications that are typically used to prevent seizures, but that are especially helpful for alleviating nerve pain associated with spinal conditions
Your care team may combine medication with other nonsurgical treatments and may change your medication depending upon the progression of your condition. To discuss your condition with a spine specialist and determine what pain medication may be right for you, make an appointment at Kelsey-Seybold Spine Center in Houston today.