Preparing for Your Appointment
To ensure the best outcome from your mammogram, please follow these guidelines.
Mammogram Appointment Dos and Don’ts
- Try to schedule your mammogram for immediately after your menstrual cycle so you won’t have the breast tenderness that can occur at other times in the cycle.
- On the day of your mammogram, don’t use perfumes, bath oils, powders, or deodorant until after the exam. They contain ingredients that can interfere with the clarity of the image.
- It’s best to wear a skirt or pants with a blouse instead of a dress for your appointment, so you have to remove only one garment for the procedure.
- Leave all jewelry and other valuables at home or under the safekeeping of a waiting family member. Jewelry can’t be worn during the exam.
- Take an over-the-counter pain reliever about an hour before your appointment. This can help reduce the amount of discomfort you feel during your mammogram.
- Bring your records if you’re a new Kelsey-Seybold breast care patient. If you've had previous mammograms from non-Kelsey-Seybold physicians, bring your records with you to your appointment – complete with names, addresses, and telephone numbers of previous providers, if possible.
Instructions for Other Breast Diagnostic Appointments
Use the following links to view the .pdfs containing information related to your visit for an imaging or biopsy procedure.