How to Do a Breast Self-Exam
Women should perform breast self-exams just as their period ends each month or at the same time each month. Remember to report any abnormalities to your physician.
You should feel for a hard lump, thickening, or any change in your breast tissue:
- Lie down on your back with a pillow under your right shoulder.
- Use the pads of the three middle fingers on your left hand to examine your right breast.
- Press using light, medium, and firm pressure in a circular motion.
- Follow an up and down pattern.
- Feel for changes in your breast, above and below your , and in your armpit area.
- Repeat on your left breast using your right hand.