Join Our eNewsletter!
Subscribe to our monthly newsletter to receive encouraging advice to help you lead a healthy lifestyle.
When to See a Doctor for Your Allergies?
Get Relief From Your Allergies
If you cough, sneeze, or have watery eyes whenever you step outside, or find yourself experiencing symptoms around a specific plant, food, or another element, you may be suffering from allergies. Kelsey-Seybold Clinic serves Greater Houston patients with a wide array of medical issues, including allergies. Our Allergy specialists can help you find relief from wheezing and other symptoms and help you manage daily life without undue suffering.
They can examine you and run tests to determine if you have seasonal allergies, food allergies, or allergies to other triggers.
When To See an Allergy Specialist
A Kelsey-Seybold allergist can help you prevent allergy symptoms and avoid triggers. You may want to consider making an appointment with an Allergy specialist if:
- Your stuffy or runny nose, watery eyes, cough, or other symptoms last longer than three months and make working or sleeping difficult
- You’ve treated your allergies with over-the-counter drugs, but they’re not enough to provide the relief you need
- You develop frequent bouts of headaches, stuffy nose, sinus infections, or ear infections over time
- You have diabetes, glaucoma, thyroid disease, high blood pressure, heart disease, liver disease, an enlarged prostate, kidney disease, or other health problems, which may make taking over-the-counter allergy treatments dangerous (before taking these medications, we strongly advise you talk with your doctor)
What Do Allergists Do?
Allergists have ample training and experience in a broad range of allergens and how they can affect patients. An Allergy specialist’s priority is helping you live a normal life with long-term allergy relief.
An allergist will provide the following services:
- Diagnose your allergies: Only a doctor can confirm you have an allergy through testing. By verifying you have an allergy and what your symptoms include, a doctor can help you find the right treatment.
- Identify your triggers: Through testing, an allergist can determine which elements and situations trigger your allergies and can help you put measures in place to avoid these triggers.
- Create a treatment plan: After identifying your triggers, an allergy doctor can create a treatment plan that may include what medicines you might need to take, when to take them, what to avoid, and how to prepare for a serious allergic reaction.
- Verify the medicine you take: While over-the-counter medicines help some people with their allergies, other people need prescription medication to manage their symptoms. Your allergist can give you professional advice on what medications may work best for you and ensure you have prescriptions for the drugs you need.
- Control your symptoms: An itchy nose and watery eyes don’t have to be a constant burden in your daily life. An allergy doctor can treat these symptoms and sometimes stop them before they start.
Questions To Expect During an Appointment
During an appointment with an allergist, you should expect to tell them about your lifestyle and any allergy symptoms you have. Allergy specialists need to find out about your daily life and how your symptoms affect your health and ability to function. When you visit a Kelsey-Seybold allergist, they may ask:
- What symptoms are you experiencing?
- How long have you been experiencing your symptoms?
- How long do your symptoms last when they occur?
- Are your symptoms a year-round issue, or do they come and go throughout the year?
- Do symptoms occur while you’re in an indoor or outdoor environment?
- Do you have pets, and are your symptoms worse when you’re around them?
- Do you or anyone in your household or family smoke?
- Do your symptoms affect your sleep at night or keep you from performing daily activities?
- What makes your allergy symptoms better, and have you tried any treatments?
- Are you taking any allergy medications now, and do they help?
- Are you taking any other medications, such as vitamins, herbal supplements, or over-the-counter drugs?
- Does your home have central air conditioning, and what type of heating system does it have?
- Do you have high blood pressure, asthma, or any other health conditions?
- Are there any problems with your sense of taste or smell?
- Are your symptoms worse while you’re at work and get better when you’re at home?
Kelsey-Seybold Clinic Helps Greater Houston Find Relief
Your allergies don’t have to control your life and leave you sneezing, wheezing, or suffering. With an allergist’s help, you can successfully manage your symptoms and achieve long-term allergy relief. Take control of your health and wellness by treating your allergies with assistance from a highly trained Kelsey-Seybold Allergy Specialist in the Greater Houston area. Contact us today if you want to learn more or to schedule an appointment.