Kelsey-Seybold Clinic Announces Plans for Women’s Health Fair
Houston (September 8, 2001) –Today’s fast-paced lifestyle, with demands from work, family, friends, and other activities leave women with little or no time to take care of themselves. Now, more than ever, it is important for women to learn how to maintain and improve their health.
Kelsey-Seybold Clinic is hosting a Women’s Health Fair on Saturday, September 8, from 10:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m. at the Main Campus, located at 2727 West Holcombe Boulevard, to help Houston area women understand the variety of issues directly related to women’s health. The Health Fair will include free screenings for blood pressure, cholesterol and bone density. Tips on nutrition and fitness demonstrations will also be provided. In addition, Kelsey-Seybold physicians will make presentations with Q&A throughout the day on women’s health issues.
The following activities will be offered at the Women’s Health Fair:
- Blood pressure, bone density and cholesterol screenings
- Colorectal Screening Check List
- Exercise education
- Body composition measurement
- Strength assessment
Physician Presentations and Q&A on the following pertinent issues:
- Dr. Nicholas Solomos will discuss “Is it a Bad Day or Depression” from 10:15 a.m. – 10:45 a.m.
- “Osteoporosis: Keeping Your Bones Strong” will be the topic of discussion with Dr. Tri Lee from 10:45 a.m. – 11:15 a.m.
- “Living with Allergies” will be the topic of discussion with Dr. Eric Sandberg from 11:15 a.m. – 11:45 a.m.
- “Coping with Arthritis” will be the topic of discussion with Dr. Michael Condit from 11:45 a.m. – 12:15 p.m.
- Dr. Eric Peterson will provide “Menopause Survival Skills” from 12:15 p.m. – 12:45 p.m.
- Dr. John Hughes will be discussing “The Importance of Colorectal Cancer Screening” from 12:45 p.m. – 1:15 p.m.
- "Heart Disease is a Women’s Disease Too” will be discussed by Dr. Bruce Barnum from 1:15 p.m. – 1:45 p.m.
- Dr. Sylvia Trumble will discuss “Breast Cancer: Why a Mammogram Matters” from 1:15 p.m. to 1:45 p.m.
- Yoga – Suzy Shapiro will be demonstrating how Yoga is used to relieve fatigue and stress from 10:45 a.m. – 11:15 a.m.
- Kickboxing – Julie Bellis, Licensed Tae Bo instructor will give a KickSport demonstration from 11:15 a.m. – 11:45 a.m.
- NIA – Helen Terry will demonstrate how movement can be used to improve health from 12:15 p.m. – 12:45 p.m.
Health Education Materials
- Free brochures about women’s health issues
- Exercise and nutrition tips
Kelsey-Seybold Clinic is sponsoring this Health Fair to provide women with the information they need to lead long, healthy lives. Attendees will receive suggestions about maintaining a healthy lifestyle, including exercise, a healthy diet, health screenings. Women of all ages will learn how to evaluate common symptoms, understand how health issues affect them, and learn what steps they should take to lead a healthy life. Kelsey-Seybold’s Women’s Health Fair was initially scheduled for June 9, but due to the flooding caused by Hurricane Allison, the event was postponed until September 8.
Share This Article