Mohs Surgery: What To Expect
Kelsey-Seybold Clinic is here to guide you through every step of your Mohs surgery for skin cancer removal. Our Mohs surgery specialists will walk you through everything, including preoperative preparation, perioperative procedures, and postoperative care.
Before Your Procedure
You, your Dermatologist, and Kelsey-Seybold Mohs surgery specialist will assess whether a Mohs surgical procedure is the best course of action for your cancer. Once there is an established need for Mohs surgery, your provider will set up an appointment date and time for your procedure.
You'll be required to follow specific instructions before undergoing your Mohs procedure for skin cancer which may include:
- Stop taking certain medications such as pain relievers, prescribed medicine, aspirin, ibuprofen, and over-the-counter supplements.
- Stop smoking as far in advance as possible since cigarette smoking and vaping interfere with wound healing.
- Abstain from alcohol for a few days before your surgery. Because alcohol might increase the risk of bleeding during surgery, doctors advise against drinking beer, wine, or cocktails before the procedure.
- Wear comfy clothes. You’ll probably feel best if you wear something comfortable and familiar.
- Shower on the day of surgery. Showering will decrease the risk of infection.
- Do not wear makeup if the procedure is on your face.
Every patient's condition is unique, so our Mohs surgery specialists may make other recommendations.
During Your Mohs Procedure
Mohs skin cancer surgery is done as an outpatient operation in our on-site surgical suite.
During the procedure: