New Mom Reminders
Our obstetric and pediatric specialists have put together a list of reminders that you can use a checklist before and after you have your baby.
Choose a pediatrician
Ask your obstetrician for suggestions or call 713-442-KIDS (5437) for personalized assistance in finding a Kelsey-Seybold pediatrician. You can also search for a doctor online to view pediatrician biographies, photos, videos, and authored articles.
Schedule Your Child’s First Pediatric Appointment
It’s important that your child see a pediatrician two to 14 days after delivery. If your newborn’s skin has a yellowish appearance, or if you child seems feverish or ill, call your pediatrician’s office right away.
Make Your Post-Delivery Doctor Appointment
It’s important to see your doctor:
- Two to four weeks after delivery if you had a cesarean section.
- Four to six weeks after delivery if you had a vaginal delivery.
- Six to eight weeks after delivery for a glucose tolerance test if you were diagnosed with diabetes during pregnancy.
When you schedule your doctor visit, remember to ask about:
- An appropriate method of contraception, if desired.
- Release to go back to work, if needed.
- Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA) paperwork, if applicable.
Have Your Infant Car Seat Inspected
You should have your infant’s car seat inspected one month before your due date. To find your nearest child safety seat inspection location, visit the U.S. Department of Transportation’s child safety seat inspection station locator page.
Add Your Baby to Your Health Insurance
Please remember that you only have 30 days from the date of birth to add your baby to your health insurance policy, so contact your provider as soon as possible.
Obtain Your Baby’s Birth Certificate
For births in the City of Houston or outside Houston but within Texas, visit the City of Houston’s birth certificate website or call 713-794-9050.