Ways to Schedule an Appointment
My Video Profile
Hobbies and Interests
Awards & Publications
Dr. Biren Patel earned his medical degree in 2013 at Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center School of Medicine in Lubbock, Texas. He completed his Psychiatry internship and residency at The University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio in 2016. He completed a Child and Adolescent Psychiatry fellowship at The University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston in 2018 and an Addiction Psychiatry fellowship at Baylor College of Medicine in Houston in 2019. During his fellowships, he cared for patients at Ben Taub Hospital, the Michael E. Debakey VA Medical Center, Devereux Residential Treatment Center, JSA Health Telepsychiatry, The University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston, and The University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio. Dr. Patel joined Kelsey-Seybold Clinic in 2019 and is managing physician of Behavioral Health.
While in his most recent fellowship in Addiction Psychiatry, he furthered his knowledge in academic medicine, psychotherapy, and the ability to publish peer-reviewed articles. Current endeavors include establishing the Behavioral Health department at an accountable care organization, Kelsey-Seybold, and working with medical professionals within a collaborative care model.
Dr. Patel enjoys exercising, sports, auto mechanics, and spending time with his wife and two dogs.
The best advice Dr. Patel says he’s received came from faculty during his training experiences. The most exotic place he has visited is Svalbard in the Arctic Circle. Something most people don’t know about Dr. Patel is that he was voted “funniest student” in college. As a child, he dreamed of becoming a dentist because he enjoyed cleaning.
- Patel, B., & Kosten, T. (2019). Keeping Up with Clinical Advances: Opioid Use Disorder. CNS Spectrums, 1-7. Doi:10.1017/S109285291900110X.
- Moukaddam, N. & Patel, B. (2018). Substance Abuse Education in Medical Learners. Substance and Non-Substance Related Addictions. Manuscript submitted for publication.
- Onigu-Otite, E.; Patel, B.; Ansari, I.; Ukrani, K.; Lee, S.; & Shah, A. (2019). Substance Use in Adolescents – Diagnostic Dilemma. Psych Annals. Manuscript submitted for publication.
- St. Luke's Health - Baylor St. Luke's Medical Center
Education and Board Certifications
- Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center School of Medicine, Lubbock, Texas, 2013
- The University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio – Psychiatry Internship and Residency, 2016; University of Texas Medical Branch – Galveston, TX – Child and Adolescent Psychiatry Fellowship, 2018; Baylor College of Medicine – Houston, TX – Add
- American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology - Addiction Psychiatry
- American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology - Psychiatry