Call to Schedule
DEXA Body Composition Scan
The Kelsey-Seybold Executive Health Assessment Exam has expanded to bring you the gold standard in body composition analysis: DEXA body composition scanning.
This cutting-edge, FDA-approved technology goes beyond weight and BMI (body mass index) to give valuable insight into your health through precise measurement of bone density, muscle mass, and body fat percentage.
Think of it as a window into the makeup of your body that will help determine the best weight loss, nutrition, and exercise strategy based on what your body needs most for overall health.
Lunar Prodigy™ Advance DEXA technology by GE HealthCare offers a quick, painless, and noninvasive way to better understand your overall health and track changes over time.
Body composition scanning precisely measures:
- Lean Tissue: The ratio of lean muscle mass that forms the foundation of vitality.
- Fat Tissue Mass: Your fat tissue mass, providing critical insights into overall health and potential risk factors.
- Fat Percentage: Your body’s fat percentage, uncovering the deeper aspects of your health.
- Bone Mineral Density: Accurate measurements of your bone mineral density, crucial for longevity and mobility.
DEXA Body Composition Scanning Benefits
Weight fluctuates for a number of reasons, and BMI doesn’t take muscle mass, bone density, and other factors into account. Body composition scanning is a quick, convenient way to gain invaluable insights into your overall health through an in-depth, clinically proven analysis.
With precise measurement of your body composition, a DEXA scan has several benefits:
- A detailed analysis of bone density, muscle mass, and body fat percentage that can be tracked and compared over time to evaluate the effectiveness of lifestyle changes, fitness routines, and medical treatments.
- An assessment of your risk for health issues, such as osteoporosis and obesity-related conditions, allowing for preventive measures and early intervention.
- The ability to track changes in muscle mass in body fat percentage to optimize fitness programs, monitor progress, and set realistic goals.
What A DEXA Scan Measures
DEXA scanning provides an in-depth analysis of:
- Total body fat percentage and amount of lean body mass
- Total amount of fat in relation to height
- Visceral adipose tissue (VAT), a component of total body fat, to measure the amount of internal abdominal fat around the organs (as opposed to subcutaneous fat, which is beneath the skin) and help determine risk of cardiovascular and metabolic disease
- Android (apple shape) to gynoid (pear shape) ratio to determine where fat is stored, around the mid-section or the hips
- Fat free mass index (FFMI), the amount of body mass that consists of muscle, bone, organs, and connective tissue
- Skeletal muscle mass (SMM), the total amount of skeletal muscle, and skeletal muscle mass percentage DEXA body composition scanning is a precise, valuable tool to assess and manage health and wellness effectively
- Appendicular lean mass to height ratio, the amount of lean mass in the arms and legs in relation to height
- Appendicular lean mass to BMI ratio, the amount of lean mass in the arms and legs in relation to body mass index
- Resting metabolic rate (RMR), the number of calories the body needs to maintain current mass under resting conditions
- Bone density to determine how dense the bones are and the risk of osteoporosis and osteopenia
After the scan, a detailed, multipage report is generated with percentages, mass, and images showcasing all the data that’s been gathered. Your Executive Health team will help you understand your scan results and how they relate to your overall health. They also will suggest any necessary actions or treatments.
We make scheduling easy for you
Call to have one of our representatives reach out to you within one business day.