Post-Bariatric Surgery Nutrition: Stage 2
On week 2, you can continue consuming the liquid foods from Stage 1 and begin adding in pureed, soft proteins. During this time, your stomach pouch and the opening to the intestine is swollen and small, so you'll only be able to consume a small amount of food. Your priority during this stage should be reaching the protein goal given to you by your dietitian and bariatric surgeon.
NOTE: Begin taking your vitamins in week 2. If you received vitamin samples prior to surgery, you can try them now. Take one to two different vitamins per day until you determine which ones you can tolerate best. If you get nauseous or vomit after taking a vitamin, discontinue its use. If you can't tolerate any of the sample vitamins, contact your bariatric team for suggestions on which vitamin to buy that's best for you.
How to eat during Stage 2:
- Eat every three to four hours.
- Expect to eat a few tablespoons of food every meal.
- Take 20 – 30 minutes to thoroughly chew and swallow your food.
- Eat protein foods first, fruits and vegetables second, and whole grains or starchy vegetables third.
- Avoid foods containing saturated fats, added or refined sugars, and coarse or crunchy foods.
- Puree foods in a blender or food processor to applesauce consistency, if needed.
- Strain or blend foods as needed to ensure there are no solid pieces.
- Foods can be cooked using cooking spray.
- Foods can be mixed with nonfat mayonnaise or nonfat salad dressing.
- DO NOT drink fluids while eating or for 30 minutes afterward.
- DO continue sipping liquids throughout the rest of the day (40 – 60 ounces total).
- Stop eating when you feel satisfied.
- Low-fat, low-sugar Greek yogurt (no fruit chunks or seeds)
- Low-fat or fat-free cottage cheese
- Low-fat or fat-free ricotta cheese
- Mashed beans
- Fat-free refried beans
- Hummus (without chunky toppings like pine nuts or sun-dried tomatoes)
- Finely chopped scrambled eggs
- Chicken or tuna salad (pureed)
- Canned chicken or tuna
- Other canned fish
- Lentil, split pea, or black bean soup (strained)
- Miso or egg drop soup
Supplement with nonfat powdered milk or protein powder to add protein.
- Unsweetened applesauce or pureed fruits
- Mashed sweet potatoes (no chunks)
- Mashed cauliflower (no chunks)
- Mashed avocado or smooth guacamole
- Sugar-free pudding
- Tomato soup
- Other soups (strained)