Join Our eNewsletter!
Subscribe to our monthly newsletter to receive encouraging advice to help you lead a healthy lifestyle.
Heart Healthy Recipes with International Flair
Mediterranean Chicken with Rosemary Orzo Recipe
Mediterranean Chicken with Rosemary OrzoIngredients
- ½ lb uncooked chicken breast tenders (not breaded)
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- ¾ cup uncooked orzo or rosamarina pasta
- 1 cup Progresso® chicken broth (from 32-oz carton)
- ¼ cup water
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh or 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary leaves
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 medium zucchini, cut lengthwise into fourths, then cut crosswise into slices (3/4 cup)
- 2 plum (Roma) tomatoes, cut into fourths and sliced (1 cup)
- ½ medium bell pepper, chopped (1/2 cup)
Heat 10-inch nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Cook chicken in skillet about 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until brown
Stir in garlic, pasta and broth. Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer about 8 minutes or until most of the liquid is absorbed.
Stir in remaining ingredients. Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer about 5 minutes, stirring once, until bell pepper is crisp-tender and pasta is tender.
Makes 2 servings
1 Serving (1 Serving)Calories 370 (Calories from Fat 50)
Total Fat 6g (Saturated Fat 1 1/2g, Trans Fat 0g),
Total Carbohydrate 47g (Dietary Fiber 5g, Sugars 3g)
Indian-Spiced Tomato Almond Shrimp
- ¼ cup slivered almonds
- 2 teaspoons canola or vegetable oil
- 1 lb uncooked large shrimp, peeled, deveined
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 can (15 oz) Muir Glen® organic tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro
In food processor or blender, place almonds. Cover; process until almonds are finely ground.
In 10-inch skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add shrimp; cook and stir 30 to 60 seconds, stirring constantly, just until shrimp turn pink. Remove shrimp from skillet.
In same skillet, add all remaining ingredients except cilantro. Cook over medium heat 2 to 3 minutes, stirring occasionally, until sauce is slightly thickened. Stir in shrimp; cook about 1 minute until thoroughly heated. Sprinkle with cilantro.
1 Serving (1 Serving)
Calories 180(Calories from Fat 60),
Total Fat 7g(Saturated Fat 1/2g,Trans Fat 0g),
Total Carbohydrate 10g (Dietary Fiber 2g, Sugars 5g),
Jamaican Jerk Pork Chops with Mango Salsa
Jamaican Jerk Seasoning
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon packed brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cracked black pepper
- ¼ to 1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper (cayenne)
- ¼ teaspoon crushed dried sage leaves
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 4 pork loin or rib chops, 1/2 to 3/4 inch thick (1 1/2 to 2 lb)
- Mango Salsa
- 1 medium mango, cut lengthwise in half, seed removed and chopped (1 cup)
- ¼ cup finely chopped red onion
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh or 1 teaspoon dried mint leaves
- 1 small jalapeño chili, finely chopped (2 to 3 teaspoons)
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
Make Jamaican Jerk Seasoning. Rub seasoning into pork chops. Cover and refrigerate at least 30 minutes but no longer than 1 hour.
Meanwhile, make Mango Salsa.
Heat coals or gas grill for direct heat.
Cover and grill pork chops over medium heat 9 to 12 minutes, turning once, until no longer pink when cut near bone. Serve with salsa.
METHOD FOR JAMAICAN JERK SEASONING: In small bowl, mix all ingredients.
METHOD FOR MANGO SALSA: In small glass or plastic bowl, mix all ingredients. Cover and refrigerate until serving.
Makes 4 servings
1 Serving (1 serving)
Calories 240 (Calories from Fat 60),
Total Fat 7g (Saturated Fat 2 1/2g,
Trans Fat 0g),
Total Carbohydrate 12g (Dietary Fiber 1g, Sugars 7g),
Share This Article