Join Our eNewsletter!
Subscribe to our monthly newsletter to receive encouraging advice to help you lead a healthy lifestyle.
Great After School Snacks
Growing kids have growing bones, and one of the best ways to support them is to provide them with foods rich in calcium and Vitamin D.
Orange Banana Frosty
Serving Size: 1/2 cup
Yield: 2 servings
1 frozen banana
1/2 cup plain low-fat yogurt
1/2 cup prepared orange juice
- Put all ingredients in a blender and mix well.
- Add more liquid if you want the drink thinner.
Source: University of Nebraska
(makes 16 servings)
Low-fat cooking spray
1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 medium-sized egg, beaten
1 cup low-fat milk
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
1 tablespoon fresh squeezed lemon juice
1/3 cup almonds, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350º.
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Using a spoon or your fingers, make a small well in the center of the flour mixture then set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the egg, milk, vegetable oil, lemon peel and lemon juice. Pour egg mixture in the well of the flour mixture then stir until ingredients are thoroughly moistened (batter may be slightly lumpy.) Add almonds and mix thoroughly until combined.
- Spray an 8 x 4 x 2-inch loaf pan with low-fat cooking spray, then pour in batter.
- Bake for about 45-50 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in the center of the loaf comes out clean. Cool loaf in pan on a wire rack for about 10 minutes then turn out of pan and let cool completely before serving.
Source: King County Public Health
Peanut Butter Wraps
1 tablespoon peanut butter
1 teaspoon honey
1/4 cup granola
1 6-inch flour tortilla
1-2 tablespoons low-fat or fat-free vanilla yogurt
- Cover the tortilla with the peanut butter to the edges. Drizzle honey over the peanut butter. Sprinkle the granola over the honey.
- Roll the tortilla and cut it in half.
- Serve with the yogurt for dipping.
Makes one serving.
Source: School Nutrition Association
1/2 loaf Italian or French bread split lengthwise, or 2 split English muffins
1/2 cup pizza sauce
1/2 cup cheese, low-fat shredded mozzarella or cheddar
3 tablespoons chopped green pepper
Other vegetable toppings as desired (optional)
Italian seasoning (optional)
- Toast the bread or English muffin in a toaster oven until slightly brown.
- Top bread or muffin with pizza sauce, vegetables, and cheese.
3. Sprinkle with Italian seasonings as desired.
- Return bread to toaster oven (or regular oven preheated to 350 degrees).
- Heat until cheese melts.
Makes 2 servings
Source: USDA, adapted from the University of Massachusetts Extension Nutrition Education Program
Share This Article