Join Our eNewsletter!
Subscribe to our monthly newsletter to receive encouraging advice to help you lead a healthy lifestyle.
Did You Know?
May 25, 2018
Important Endocrinology Facts You Need to Know
- Endocrinology is a branch of medicine dealing with disorders of the endocrine system and its specific secretions called hormones.
- The human body contains 30 amazing hormones, which regulates activities like sleep, body temperature, hunger, and managing stress in times of crisis.
- Adrenal glands produce the greatest number of hormones.
- The endocrine system is instrumental in regulating metabolism, growth, development and puberty, tissue function, and also plays a part in determining mood.
- Although it is no bigger than a pea, the pituitary gland, located at the base of the brain just beneath the hypothalamus, is considered the most important part of the endocrine system. It’s often called the “master gland” because it makes hormones that control several other endocrine glands.
- Too much or too little of any hormone can be harmful to the body.