Atif Saleem, MD
Kelsey-Seybold Medical Group ProviderPointer
Language(s): English, Hindi, Punjabi, Urdu
6624 Fannin St.,
Houston, TX 77030
Joined Kelsey-Seybold: June 2022
Hobbies and Interests
Awards & Publications
Dr. Atif Saleem is board certified in Internal Medicine and General Gastroenterology. He also has fellowship training in Therapeutic Advanced Endoscopy.
He received his Doctor of Medicine from King Edward Medical University Lahore, Pakistan in 2002. He completed his Internal Medicine training in 2008 at the Icahn School of Medicine (formerly the Mount Sinai School of Medicine) at Saint Joseph University Hospital in Paterson, NJ.
Dr. Saleem completed General Gastroenterology fellowship training in 2014 at East Tennessee State University in Johnson City and Therapeutic Endoscopy Fellowship training at the University of Florida in Gainesville in 2015.
He has extensive experience in Gastroenterology and Internal Medicine and has spent time in both research and clinical roles. Dr. Saleem has written numerous peer-reviewed articles and given multiple presentations on all aspects of Gastroenterology.
Dr. Saleem enjoys traveling, hiking, playing tennis, running, and spending time with family and friends.
The best advice Dr. Saleem has ever received is “Follow excellency.”
The most exotic/interesting plan he has visited is the Appalachian Mountains.
- First position in higher secondary school
- First position in pre-medical college
- Third position in King Edward Medical University, Lahore, Pakistan
- Presidential Gold Medal Award for best student in 10 years at pre-medical college
- Bronze medal from the Health Secretary of Punjab, Pakistan, for holding third position in pre-medical in state division
- Certificate Award for participation in data collection as third-party evaluation of Expanded Program of Immunization conducted by UNICEF
- Certificate Award for workshop on basic concepts in medical education
- Bawardy B, Saleem A, Wong Kee Song LM. Outcomes and Predictors of Rebleeding After 2-Octyl Cyanoacrylate Injection in Acute Gastric Variceal Hemorrhage. J Clin Gastroenterol. 2016 Jul; 50(6):458-63. PubMed PMID: 26890326.
- Chaudhari D Saleem A, Young MF, Murthy R, Baron TH. Choledochoduodenal fistula after biliary SEMS placement for palliation of pancreatic cancer: Endoscopy. 2013; 45 Suppl 2 UCTN: E77. Doi: 10.1055/s-. Epub 2013 Mar 22.
- Atif Saleem MD, Mark Young MD; et al. Recurrent Adenocarcinoma of Colon with Duodenal Metastasis Presenting as Partial Gastric Outlet Obstruction: a case report with review of literature. Publication status: Accepted: World Journal of Oncology Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 329472, 4 pages.
- Parag Brahmbhatt, Saleem A and Mark Young Retroperitoneal Paraganglioma Presenting as a Chest Pain: Case Rep Oncol Med. 2013;2013:329472. doi: 10.l 155/2013/329472. Epub 2013 Jan 31.
- Parag Brahmbhatt MD, Atif Saleem MD, Mark Young MD; et al. Recurrent Adenocarcinoma of Colon with Duodenal Metastasis Presenting as Partial Gastric Outlet Obstruction: a case report with review of literature. World Journal of Oncology Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 329472, 4 pages.
- Saleem A, Brahmbhatt P, Young MF, LeSage G. Microscopic colitis with macroscopic endoscopic findings. Case Reports in medicine/Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Volume 2013, Article ID 461485.
- Oldridge N, Hofer S, McGee H, Conroy R, Doyle F, Saner H. (Saleem A: site Investigator:) The HeartQoL: Part I. Development of a new core health-related quality of life questionnaire for patients with ischemic heart disease. Eur J PrevCardiol. 2012 Jul 20. PubMed PMID: 22822179. Parag Brahmbhatt, MD,
- Oldridge N, Hofer S, McGee H, Conroy R, Doyle F, Saner H. (Saleem A: site Investigator:) The HeartQoL: Part IL Validation of a new core health-related quality of life questionnaire for patients with ischemic heart disease. Eur J PrevCardiol. 2012 Jul 20. PubMed PMID: 22822180.
- Hofer S, Saleem A, Stone J, Thomas R, Tulloch H, Oldridge N. The MacNew Heart Disease Health Related Quality of Life Questionnaire in patients with angina and patients with ischemic heart failure. Value Health. 2012 Jan; 15(1):143-50.
- Saleem A, Baron TH. Laparoscopic-assisted ERCP in Roux en Y Gastric bypass (RYGB) surgery patients. (Original Article) J Gastrointestinal Surg. 2012Jan; 16(1):203-8. Epub 2011 Nov 1. PubMed PMID: 22042568.
- Saleem A, Baron TH. Early massive bleeding following placement of a duodenal self expandable metal stent (SEMS) for palliation of gastric outlet obstruction (with video). Gastrointest Endosc. 2011 Dec; 74(6):1426-7. PubMed PMID: 21429490.
- Saleem A, El-Youssef M, Baron TH. (Chapter 63): Endoscopic retrograde Cholangiopancreatography. Section 7: Pediatric Gastrointestinal and Liver Disease, Fourth Edition, Pages: 668-678, copyright 2011, Elsevier publishing, Philadelphia, PA.
- Saleem A, Leggett CL, Murad MH, Baron TH. Meta-analysis of randomized trials comparing the patency of covered and uncovered self-expandable metal stents for palliation of distal malignant bile duct obstruction. Gastrointestinal Endosc. 2011; 74:321-327. Pub Med PMID: 21683354.
- Saleem A, Gostout CJ, Baron TH, et al; Outcome of bedside Endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography (ERCP) in the Intensive Care Unit (ICU). Endoscopy. 2011 Jun; 43(6):549-51. Epub2011 Mar 21. PubMed PMID: 21425044.
- Saleem A, Baron TH. Small Diameter Delivery System Allows Expandable Metal Biliary Stent Placement Using a Pediatric Colonoscope in Surgically Altered Anatomy" Endoscopy. 2011 Feb; 43(2):E69-70. PMID: 21341188.
- Saleem A, Baron TH. Successful endoscopic treatments of intra-ductal extension of a villous adenoma with high-grade dysplasia with 3 year follow up. Gastrointest Endosc. 2011 Jan 14. [Epub ahead of print]PMID: 21238958.
- Saleem A, Baron TH, Gostout CJ, et al; Endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography using a single balloon enteroscope (SBE) in patients with altered Roux-en-Y anatomy. (Original Article) Endoscopy.2010 Aug; 42(8): 656-60.
- Saleem A, Baron TH. Successful endoscopic treatment of biliary cast syndrome in an orthotropic liver transplant patient with a Roux-en-Y anastomosis via balloon enteroscopy. Liver Transpl 2010; 16(4):527- 9. PMID: 20213831.
- Saleem A, Baron TH, Gostout CJ. Large-diameter therapeutic channel duodenoscope to facilitate simultaneous deployment of side-by-side self-expandable metal stents in hilar cholangiocarcinoma. Gastrointest Endosc. 2010; 72(3):628-31. Epub 2010 Jun 25. PMID: 20579649.
- Baron TH, Saleem A. Intraductal electrohydraulic lithotripsy by using Spy Glasscholangioscopy through a Colonoscope in a patient with Roux-en-Y hepaticojejunostomy. Gastrointest Endosc 201O; 71:650-1. PMID: 19922921.
- Saleem A, Bruining DH, Baron TH. Viral seeding of a percutaneous endoscopic gastrostomy tract from oral herpes. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatology 2010; 8:7-8. PMID: 19716435.
- Saleem A, Leroy AJ, Baron TH. Modified rendezvous technique with successful reconnection of completely transected common bile duct using combined endoscopic and radiologic approach. Endoscopy 2010; 42:178-9.
- Saleem A, Baron TH. Pancreatic Cancer- A Review of Palliative Current Endoscopic Treatment. (Review article) Accepted in US Gastroenterology and Hepatology Journal and In-Press.
- Saleem A, Reddy JG, Buttar NS, Rajan E, Gostout CJ, Baron TH, Wong Kee Song LM. Management of gastric variceal hemorrhage using 2-Octyl-cyanoacrylate. (Original Article) Publication Status: will be submitted for review.
- Saleem A, Sawyer MD, Baron TH. Laparoscopy assisted transjejunal ERCP for treatment of pancreaticopleural fistula. JOP 2010 Jan 8; 11:69-71. PMID: 20065558.
- Saleem A, Baron TH. Endoscopic management of biliary leak following gunshot wound to the liver. Publication Status: Journal of Interventional Gastroenterology (JIG), Accepted and In Press.
- Saleem A, Baron TH. A rare presentation of choledocholithiasis: Fecal incontinence with unexplained weight loss. Publication Status: Accepted in Journal of Tennessee Medical Association (TMA) and in press.
- Ahmad M, Chowdhury N, Bank L, Saleem A. Dysphagia in a Patient with Linx Procedure. March, 2019, Binghamton Biomedical Research Conference, SUNY Binghamton, Binghamton, NY.
- Ahmad M, Bella S, Saleem A. Acute Pancreatitis in a Patient with Diverticulitis. March, 2019, Binghamton Biomedical Research Conference, SUNY Binghamton, Binghamton, NY.
- Bella S, Saleem A, Shumeyko M. Esophageal Actinomyces in Immunocompetent Patient: That's Unusual!, 2018 American College of Gastroenterology Annual Meeting, October, 2018, Philadelphia, PA.
- Bella S, Saleem A, Shumeyko M. Unusual Presentation of Pancreatic Cancer: A Case Report and Review of Literature. 2018 American College of Gastroenterology Annual Meeting, October, 2018, Philadelphia, PA.
- Emmanuel, Baron TH, Saleem A, Song LM, et al; Outcomes and Predictors of Rebleeding Following 2-Octyl-Cyanoacrylate Injection for Acute Gastric Variceal Hemorrhage: Results of a 12-Year Experience (Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN): Control ID: 1590784, Accepted DDW 2013 (ASGE), Orlando, FL.
- Saleem A, Cadman L, Murad M, Baron TH. A Meta-analysis Comparing the Patency of Covered and Uncovered Self-Expandable Metal Stents for Palliation of Distal Malignant Bile Duct obstruction. Accepted DDW 2011(ASGE), P-ERCP; Biliary Session 2, ID: 7090.
- Saleem A, Reddy JG, Buttar NS, Rajan E, Gostout CJ, Baron TH, Wong Kee Song LM. Management of gastric variceal hemorrhage using 2-Octyl-cyanoacrylate. Accepted DDW 201l(ASGE), Client Session ID: 5095. May 7 - 10, 2011.
- Saleem A, Rajan E, Bruining DH, Alexander AJ, Baron TH, Wong Kee Song LM. Double Balloon endoscopy as a Rescue Technique for Failed Conventional Direct Percutaneous Endoscopic Jejunostomy Feeding Tube Placement. Accepted DDW 201 l(ASGE), Upper GI-Small Bowel Imaging Session, Client Session ID: 5095, May 7th-10th 2011.
- Rashid A., Saleem A, Khan MA; Recurrence Rate of Deep Venous Thrombosis in Patients Receiving Statins. Poster presented at: America College of Chest Physicians-Session DVT & Pulmonary embolism (AP2326 – Oct 2008); Philadelphia, PA.
- Saleem A., Karippot A., Morulous M. (May, 2007, CV-118). Thrombocytopenic purpura (TTP) with massive Myocardial infarction (Ml) in a HIV patient. Poster presented at: Seton Hall University-18th Annual Research Colloquium Abstracts and Presentations; Elizabeth, NJ.
- Singh A., Saleem A., Karippot A., Morulous M. (May, 2007, CV-48). Idiopathic retroperitoneal fibrosis-an etiology for IVF thrombosis and urethral obstruction. Poster presented at: Seton Hall University-18th Annual Research Colloquium Abstracts and Presentations; Elizabeth, NJ.
- Clinical Research Fellow, Advanced Endoscopy Division, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, Rochester, Minn., July 2009 – January 2011(Mentor: Todd Baron; MD, FASGE)
- Research Assistant, Gastroenterology Basic Science Lab, East Tennessee State University, Johnson City, Tenn., October 2008 – April 2009 (Mentor: Gene LeSage; MD, FASGE)
- St. Luke's Health - Baylor St. Luke's Medical Center
- Memorial Hermann
- KelseyCare powered by Cigna (learn more)
- Choice Fund PPO
- Choice Fund Open Access Plus (OAP)
- Cigna EPO
- Cigna HMO
- Cigna KelseyCare
- Cigna HMO Open Access (OA)
- Cigna HMO Open Access Plus (OAP)
- Cigna POS
- Cigna PPO
- Cigna Consumer Driven Health Plan (CDHP)
- Cigna Surefit
- LocalPlus IN
Blue Cross Blue Shield Plans
Blue Cross Blue Shield
The specific BCBSTX PPO and HMO plans in which Kelsey-Seybold participates are:
- Blue Edge PPO
- Blue Essentials HMO Click here to learn more about selecting a Kelsey Primary Care Physician
- Blue Choice PPO
- Blue Cross Blue Shield of Texas
- Blue Cross Blue Shield Federal Employee Program (Basic and Standard Option)
- Health Select of Texas - ERS
- TRS-ActiveCare Primary Click here to learn more about selecting a Kelsey Primary Care Physician
- TRS-ActiveCare Primary+ Click here to learn more about selecting a Kelsey Primary Care Physician
- TRS-ActiveCare HD
- TRS-ActiveCare 2
- UT SELECT
Kelsey-Seybold will not participate in the following BCBSTX plans: Blue Premier, Blue High-Performance network, Marketplace plans: My Blue Health, and Blue Advantage HMO, or any BCBSTX Medicare products.View FAQ (pdf)
- United Charter Kelsey-Seybold (learn more)
- UnitedHealthcare Charter
- UnitedHealthcare Choice
- UnitedHealthcare Choice Plus
- UnitedHealthcare Core
- UnitedHealthcare Core Plus
- UnitedHealthcare Navigate
- UnitedHealthcare Navigate Plus
- UnitedHealthcare NexusACO
- UnitedHealthcare Options PPO
- UnitedHealthcare Select
- UnitedHealthcare Select Plus
Aetna KelseyCare (learn more)
Aetna PPO, POS, and EPO Plans
Kelsey-Seybold Clinic is an in-network provider for most Aetna PPO, POS, and EPO plans*, including:
- Aetna Select
- Open Access Select
- Elect Choice
- Aetna Open Access Elect Choice
- Aetna Choice POS II
- Managed Choice
- Open Choice PPO
Aetna CVS Health Marketplace Plans
Effective January 1, 2023
- Bronze S
- Silver 1
- Silver 2
- Silver 3
- Silver 4
- Silver S
- Gold S
*All Houston area Aetna CVS Health plans are accepted at Kelsey-Seybold Clinic*
*Kelsey-Seybold does not participate in any commercial Aetna HMO and HNO plans, including Aetna QPOS.
KelseyCare Health Plans
Local employers can add a KelseyCare plan alongside current plan offerings. Over 400 Houston-area employers offer the choice of a KelseyCare plan to their employees.
KelseyCare plans include:
- Aetna KelseyCare (learn more)
- KelseyCare powered by Cigna (learn more)
- KelseyCare Humana (learn more)
- United Charter Kelsey-Seybold (learn more)
Allied Benefit Systems/NGBS
Federal Employee Health Benefits (FEHB)
- APWU Health Plan Nationwide – CDHP with UnitedHealthcare PPO
- APWU Health Plan Nationwide – High Option with Cigna PPO
- GEHA Benefit Plan Nationwide – High & Standard Options with UnitedHealthcare Choice Plus
- NALC Nationwide with Cigna OAP
- NALC Value Option Nationwide with Cigna OAP
- SAMBA Nationwide – High & Standard with Cigna OAP
- Blue Cross Blue Shield – Standard Option
- Blue Cross Blue Shield – Basic Option
Great West Healthcare (also known as Cigna-GWH)
- Open Access
Kelsey-Seybold Clinic accepts the following Medicare Advantage Plans: KelseyCare Advantage, Aetna Medicare Advantage, WellCare TexanPlus, Humana Medicare and select UnitedHealthcare plans. Effective January 1, 2009, Kelsey-Seybold Clinic does not accept new patients with traditional Medicare.
Private Healthcare Systems PPO (PHCS)
Medicare Advantage Plans
- KelseyCare Humana (learn more)
- Humana Choice POS
- Humana COT National POS Open Access
- Humana EPO PPO Open Access
- Humana National EPO
- Humana HMO Premier (Open Access)
- Humana PPO
- Humana Preferred PPO
- Humana Preferred POS (Open Access)
- Humana/ ChoiceCare Network PPO
- Humana/ChoiceCare+ Network PPO
- Humana National POS- Open Access
- Humana National POS-Open Access Plus
Education and Board Certifications
- King Edward Medical University, Lahore, Pakistan, 2002
- Residency: Icahn School of Medicine, Saint Joseph University Hospital, Internal Medicine, Paterson, N.J., 2008; Gastroenterology Fellowship: East Tennessee State University, Johnson City, 2014; Therapeutic Endoscopy Fellowship: University of Florida, Gainesville, 2015
- American Board of Internal Medicine - Internal Medicine
- American Board of Internal Medicine - Gastroenterology